Sexton HS closed, 200+ potentially exposed to COVID-19
So far, Sexton High School canceled classes for Thursday and Friday.
LANSING, Mich. (WILX) - Sexton High School canceled classes for Thursday and Friday, citing an exceptionally high number of potential COVID-19 exposures.
Superintendent Ben Shuldiner said the exposures stem from about 15 players on the schools varsity, junior varsity, and junior high football teams. Shuldiner said the school district noticed there were one or two players that tested positive.
Shuldiner said, “We started to see that number of students that were going to be primary contacts were going to be pretty high so there was a practice on Wednesday. We tested the team, we got the results, we informed the players, we informed the coaches, and we went from there.”
The school is deep cleaning the classrooms. To help prevent further exposure the locker rooms will be updated.
Shuldiner said, “For the football team it’s different, you’re in a locker room, you’re really close, that’s what happened. What we’re doing even extra now is making sure locker rooms have extra precautions, are cleaned even more, all the kind of things that we should do we are doing and now we’re trying to add to it.”
Shuldiner said this is the first major outbreak for the school.
The school had the following update on the Lansing Schools website:
“Due to a COVID-19 outbreak and out of an abundance of caution, we are canceling school for Thursday, October 21, and Friday, October 22, including ALL extracurricular activities.”
Sexton was set to face Williamston in varsity football Friday night.
News 10 confirmed with the Lansing School District. They are currently meeting to determine if and how classes can resume next week.
Watch News 10 at 5 and 6 p.m. for more information on this story.
Copyright 2021 WILX. All rights reserved.
Subscribe to our News 10 newsletter and receive the latest local news and weather straight to your email every morning.